Dental Night Guards Fort Collins, CO.
A good night’s sleep can be disrupted by various factors, one of which is teeth grinding or clenching, usually called bruxism. This nighttime activity can cause jaw pain, headaches, and even damage your teeth. At Ray Dental, we understand these challenges and provide solutions like dental night guards.
If you grind your teeth at night, you could develop a variety of complications, including temporomandibular joint (TMJ) pain. Fortunately, with a custom-fit nightguard, you can protect your back and front teeth from harm. Learn more about how a mouthguard can help you protect your teeth, and reach out to us for a custom guard made just for your mouth!
Understanding Dental Night Guards
A dental night guard is a custom-fit appliance worn over your upper or lower teeth during sleep. It works by providing a barrier between your upper and lower teeth, preventing direct contact and thus minimizing the effects of grinding or clenching. A custom mouth guard can help you protect your lower and upper teeth from wearing each other down, preserving your enamel while preventing tooth and jaw pain.
Causes of Teeth Grinding and Clenching
Teeth grinding and clenching can be caused by stress, anxiety, an abnormal bite, sleep apnea, or even a habit during deep concentration. In some cases, it can be severe enough to lead to jaw disorders, headaches, damaged teeth, and other oral health problems. We can prevent these issues from happening by making sure your mouthguard has the right fit.
Types of Dental Night Guards
There are mainly three types of night guards:
- Over-the-Counter (OTC) Night Guards: These are one-size-fits-all guards that can be purchased online or at a pharmacy. They’re a one-time purchase and are the least expensive option, but they may not provide the best fit.
- Boil and Bite Night Guards: These are made from a thermoplastic material. You place them in hot water to soften, then place them in your mouth to create a custom mold. They offer a better fit than OTC night guards.
- Custom Night Guards: Custom-made by your dentist from an impression of your teeth. These provide the best fit and comfort, effectively preventing teeth grinding.
Benefits of Wearing a Dental Night Guard
Wearing a dental night guard can have numerous benefits. A few examples include:
- Prevent Tooth Damage: Regular grinding can wear down your tooth enamel, leading to tooth sensitivity and even loose teeth. A dental guard provides a protective layer between your teeth.
- Decrease Discomfort: By reducing grinding, a night guard can alleviate associated symptoms like facial pain and headaches.
- Improve Sleep Patterns: For those with sleep apnea, a custom dental guard may help improve airway flow, reducing snoring and promoting better sleep.
How to Choose the Right Dental Night Guard
Choosing the right dental night guard involves considering several factors, such as comfort, durability, and the severity of your bruxism. For severe teeth grinders, a thicker, more durable night guard made of acrylic may be best. Your dentist or orthodontist can help you choose the right guard for you, taking an impression kit of your teeth to send to the dental lab for a custom-made guard.
Call Ray Dental To Book a Dental Appointment in Fort Collins, CO
If you’re experiencing soreness, discomfort, or facial pain due to teeth grinding or clenching, don’t let another night go by without protection. Ray Dental offers custom-fit dental night guards, providing relief from bruxism and contributing to better sleep. Reach out today to schedule your appointment. Your journey to a pain-free, good night’s sleep starts here.